Due to cyberattacks, many businesses around the world continue to lose millions of dollars every year. This is why companies need to strategize and implement a functional and compelling cybersecurity plan.
But the problem is that cyberattacks are constantly evolving at the same rate as technology. This is why even the most powerful cybersecurity solutions sometimes fail. If so, you should consider implementing a multi-layered cybersecurity solution for your business.
Multi-layered cybersecurity protection is a more complicated and effective solution than its conventional counterpart. Since this is not very easy to implement, you might consider asking the best cybersecurity services in boston help.
But before asking for help, it’s best to have a basic understanding of what multi-layered cybersecurity means for businesses. So, in this article, you will learn all the essential details you need to know about multi-layered cybersecurity.
What is multi-layered cybersecurity?
Also known as “defense in depth” and “layered security”, layered cybersecurity is the practice of protecting a system against multiple threats by using multiple layers of security. Hence the name. It is basically a combination of several solutions created to reduce the risk of cyber attacks by protecting the system from all directions. The principle behind this is simple: every solution has a flaw. Therefore, its multiple layers work by covering the gaps and weaknesses of its co-existing layers to provide optimal protection.
Additionally, multi-layered cybersecurity should not be confused and used interchangeably with multiple executions of the same solutions, which in this case is redundant. For example, installing two different antivirus applications is not a multi-layered solution because they are two antiviruses with the same version and the same features. However, installing an antivirus application with a firewall, privacy controls, anti-malware program, anti-spam application, etc. is an example of a multi-layered solution. It may only be one application, but it has several solutions that can protect the system from all sides.
What are the different layers of a multi-layered cybersecurity solution?
Here are the layers of protection typically applied in a multi-layered cybersecurity solution to ensure optimal protection:
- Email Security: In most cases, hackers use email to steal data and gain access to different accounts, especially financial accounts. That is why email security is an essential tool for any business. This layer of protection works by filtering users from the organization and preventing attackers from infiltrating your network.
- Email encryption: This solution ensures that sensitive information will not be intercepted by anyone not in the system. As the name suggests, it encrypts emails and ensures that only those who have the key will have access to them.
- Web filtering: The main purpose of this layer is to filter out malicious and offensive websites, such as gambling. This helps protect your vital business assets from being exploited by these unproductive websites and content.
- End User Protection: This layer will help protect and secure entry points or end-user devices, such as desktops, laptops, and mobile devices, from being exploited.
- DNS filtering: Domain Name System (DNS) filtering helps prevent malicious traffic from reaching your internal systems. Also, this extra layer of protection is very important to protect both onsite and offsite devices.
- Data encryption: This solution protects your company’s data from breaches and potential attacks by making it unreadable to anyone trying to access it.
- Mobile Security: This is crucial as most people use their phones especially for work purposes. Leaving phones unsecured gives attackers access to your network. With this layer of protection, you will be able to reduce your chances of being hacked.
Why do businesses need multi-layered security?
Multi-layered cybersecurity solutions are crucial for all types of businesses for the following reasons:
- The evolution of cyberattacks: Nowadays, the cases of cyberattacks continue to rise, and the methods used by cybercriminals to launch these attacks are becoming increasingly sophisticated. That’s why organizations need to offer a comprehensive solution that can prevent ever-evolving system threats.
- The dawn of new technologies: New technologies, such as IoT (Internet of Things) cloud computing and 5G, are helping businesses improve and streamline their operations. However, they also bring new challenges and risks to your network.
- Deprecated Security: At some point, even the latest technologies become obsolete and useless. However, many companies are still using outdated protocols, which makes them more vulnerable to cyberattacks. Moving to multi-layered solutions is crucial to increase your protection against potential disasters.
Multi-layered cybersecurity is a set of several security protocols combined to provide optimal protection against cyberattacks. Additionally, it helps businesses combat ever-evolving and more sophisticated threats that can infiltrate your network and steal your data without your knowledge. So, if you think you need a multi-layered cybersecurity solution right now, consult an IT service provider today and start protecting your business.