Hours: Minimum of 30 hours per week, not exempt
Rate: $21 to $26/hour, DOE
GENERAL OBJECTIVE OF THE JOB:
Working under the direction of the Director of Guest Services and in conjunction with other staff members, this position is responsible for welcoming all guests to the Santa Cruz Museum of Art and History (MAH) and ensuring that they have a positive experience at the museum. The position also coordinates the museum’s volunteer resources to assist in the delivery of MAH programs and services.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This position interacts with a wide range of people on a daily basis, including guests, special event guests, MAH staff, venue rental clients, etc. In addition to making all guests feel welcome, this position is responsible for processing admissions, event tickets, memberships, donations and merchandise. The position also serves as the museum’s point of contact for volunteer recruitment, cultivation, enrichment, retention and recognition needs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES OF THE JOB:
- Provide effective customer service in person, over the phone and via email.
- Manage transactions for admissions, event tickets, memberships, donations, exchanges, refunds and merchandise.
- Generate interest in MAH’s offerings by effectively explaining them to customers.
- Suggest events, programs and membership offers to guests, based on their interests.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the MAH’s mission, vision and brand.
- Partner with security staff, events staff and gallery guides to provide an exceptional experience for visitors.
- Resolve customer service issues and/or escalate them to management as appropriate.
- Operate computer, printer and telephone equipment used for customer transactions.
- Ensure visitor data is entered into our database in an accurate and timely manner.
- Provide event support and assistance to MAH rental customers as required.
- Reconcile cash/checks and fees with ticket sales daily.
- Attend all staff and departmental meetings as required and participate in cross-departmental initiatives as required.
- Periodically ensure that the museum is ready for visitors. Open and close galleries, reset furniture or interactive objects as needed.
- With service managers, coordinate the admission and interview protocol for potential volunteers to ensure the best match between the skills, qualifications and interests of volunteers and the needs of the museum.
- Administer forms and maintain volunteer logs, including volunteer hour logs.
- Coordinate general orientation and region-specific training sessions for volunteers to increase their understanding of the organization, its guests, its services and their role.
- Collaborate with the supervisor in setting up volunteer recognition activities.
- Develop creative solutions to improve volunteerism and maintain an organizational culture centered on volunteerism; maintain a safe, organized and professional work environment.
- Ability to use various means of electronic communication to perform job duties and responsibilities.
- Be able to work with a wide range of people.
- Support the mission of MAH in accordance with the strategic plan, direction of the board and adherence to employee handbook policies.
- Be physically present at the MAH at least 100% of the working week.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or 3+ years of work experience.
- Previous experience managing volunteers or human resources, preferably in an artistic and cultural environment.
- Ability to organize, manage and prioritize a range of tasks with efficiency, accuracy and speed.
- Ability to work independently and exercise good judgment to seek advice and feedback as needed.
- Exercise discretion and good judgment in handling and maintaining confidential information.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Bilingual Spanish a plus.
- Accuracy and integrity in processing financial transactions.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends.
HOW TO REGISTER:
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to email@example.com. Please put “Search for Guest Services and Volunteer Coordinator” in the subject line of the email. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please. Only selected candidates will be contacted.
MAH is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We strongly encourage Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC), and all other marginalized identities to apply. The MAH is for everyone and is dedicated to the active practice of anti-racism in our organization.
The MA holder is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities in employment, programs, and activities. If reasonable accommodation is required to participate in the application, interview process, or other aspects of employment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
The MAH is a thriving community gathering place for Santa Cruz County on California’s Central Coast. Its strong slate of offerings includes commissioned, co-created and presented work; a series of rotating exhibitions; biennial public festivals; education and awareness programs; and celebrations and cultural activities in collaboration with its many partners. Additionally, the MAH maintains a permanent collection of regionally significant art and artifacts; manages historical archives and several historical sites; and operates a bustling public plaza at the museum’s doorstep that offers food, social events, and creative events year-round.