Georgia Tech Football vs. West Carolina
Saturday, September 10 7 p.m. ET Atlanta, Georgia Bobby Dodd Stadium
In his first significant action as a Yellow Jacket since moving to Georgia Tech ahead of the 2021 season, DL Keion White (6 – above) recorded two sacks against No. 4 Clemson on Monday. Since the start of last season, he’s one of only three Jackets to record at least two sacks in a game, joining Charlie Thomas and Kyle Kennard, who both accomplished the feat in the 45-22 win. of last season against the No. 21/20 North. Caroline at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.
• After a hard-fought loss to No. 4 Clemson in the Chick-fil-A season opener on Monday at Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Georgia Tech football makes its 2022 debut at Bobby Dodd Stadium on Saturday when it hosts West Carolina Saturday night.
• Tech opened the season with a 41-10 loss to Clemson on Monday night. The Yellow Jackets trailed only 14-10 more until the middle of the third quarter before the fourth-ranked Tigers retired.
• So. QB Jeff Sims headlined Georgia Tech’s top performers in Monday’s loss. The Sims went 23 of 36 passes (64.8%) for 164 yards and a touchdown against Clemson’s vaunted defense.
• Defensively, Tech were led by a pair of sixth-year LB seniors Ayinde Eley and DL Keion White. Eley led all players with 11 tackles to go along with a forced fumble and a recovered fumble while White recorded two sacks in his first significant action as Yellow Jacket.
• Georgia Tech and Western Carolina, whose campuses are only 150 miles apart, are meeting for the sixth time. Tech leads the all-time series, 5-0. In their last meeting, the Yellow Jackets outscored the Catamounts, 63-21, on September 1, 2011 at Bobby Dodd Stadium.
• The WCU are coming off a 52-38 win at Charleston Southern in their season opener last Saturday. Head coach Kerwin Bell’s explosive offense, which ranked in the NCAA Division I FCS’s top 10 last season in total offense and passing offense, amassed 616 total offensive yards and 433 passing yards in his season opener at CSU.
• Georgia Tech head coach Geoff Collins is a former Western Carolina (1994), where he played outside linebacker and defensive back from 1989-1992.
Saturday’s TV show will air live on ACC Network Extra and ESPN+. There are two ways to watch (both on the ESPN app or on watchespn.com):
- ACC Network Extra – available on the ESPN app and watchespn.com. For viewers whose cable/digital/satellite provider carries the ACC network (there is no additional cost beyond cable/digital/satellite subscription to view content on ACC Network Extra).
- ESPN+ – available on the ESPN app and watchespn.com. For viewers whose cable/digital/satellite provider does not carry the ACC network (must have a separate ESPN+ subscription to view).
The Alexander-Tharpe Fund is the fundraising arm of Georgia Tech Athletics, providing scholarships, operations, and facilities support for over 400 Georgia Tech student-athletes. Help develop Georgia Tech’s Daily Champions and help the Yellow Jackets compete for championships at the highest level of college athletics by supporting the Annual Athletic Scholarship Fund, which provides scholarships directly to Georgia Tech student-athletes. To learn more about supporting the Yellow Vests, visit atfund.org.
For the latest information on the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, follow us on Twitter (@GTathletics), Facebook, instagram or visit us at www.ramblinwreck.com.