IPOH: The case of the businessman accused of murdering 64-year-old security guard S. Thava Sagayam was announced on January 12.
Magistrate Noor Azreen Liana Mohd Darus set the date after Deputy Prosecutor Sufi Aiman ââtold the court they were still awaiting the coroner’s report.
In response, lawyer Mr. Kulasegaran asked the court to speed up the process as this is a high-profile case.
Kulasegaran hosts a surveillance briefing for Thava’s family with Selvam Nadarajah, Omar Kutty and K. Rubendaran
The accused – Ahmad Noor Azhar Muhammad – is represented by lawyer Ariff Azami Hussein.
The 33-year-old man who allegedly assaulted Thava in December last year in a foster home in a condominium was charged on September 9 with murder, following his death on August 27 at his home.
It was after the death of the security guard on August 27 of this year at his home.
Ahmad Noor was previously indicted on January 6 under section 335 of the Penal Code for causing grievous bodily harm, but he was charged with murder after public outcry following Thava’s death led to the reopening of the the case.
When he was met outside the courtroom, Kulasegaran, who arrived with Thava’s wife E. Philomena, said the case had gained public attention and therefore needed to be resolved quickly.
“If we can get all the documents, including the autopsy and the coroner’s report, the case can go to the High Court,” Kulasegaran said.