MÄkara Cemetery and Karori Cemetery are both at critical points in terms of capacity, and Mayor Andy Foster said the plan would set the direction for their management over the next 10 years and beyond.
âThe master plan follows a thorough assessment of the city’s functional and operational needs, with the aim of understanding the changing needs and expectations of the community, as well as providing a wide range of views and beliefs. .
âWe engaged with a wide range of cemetery users through an informal pre-consultation, which was followed by a formal consultation on a draft plan late last year.â
President of PÅ«roro Rangaranga | Social, Cultural and Economic Committee Councilor Jill Day says feedback received during the process was used to shape the final plan.
âWe would like to thank everyone who took the time to submit a submission. The updated plan marks a new era for the City of Wellington cemeteries and will ensure that we can be sustainable wherever possible and continue to meet the needs of our growing city, now and into the future.
The cemetery management plan addresses a wide range of issues, including:
- Respond to future demand by acquiring more land and carrying out the master plan for its development.
- Provide as many choices as possible for the diverse beliefs and wishes of people regarding burial and cremation.
- Streamline reservations and online information with a new cemetery management system.
- Encourage people to visit and enjoy our cemeteries for appropriate forms of recreation, and respect cemeteries as privileged places of peace and respite.
- Recognize the important cultural, historical and natural heritage of our cemeteries and plan how we will take care of them.
- Encourage and support community groups to work in partnership with us to care for and promote heritage in our cemeteries.
- Help those interested in family history by improving access to online cemetery registers and maps.
- Develop master plans to guide future cemetery development, landscape management and visitor orientation.
- Integrate sustainable management into cemetery operations where possible, for example through natural burial.
The final plan will be published in mid-July.
For more information: https://www.letstalk.wellington.govt.nz/cemeteries