INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that helps victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equal rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying particular attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Security Manager
Duty station: Dnipro, with frequent travel to other parts of Ukraine
Start date: 09/19/2022
Contract duration: 3 months
Reporting to: Base Manager
Supervision of: –
Dependents: Duty station without family
General context of the project
War broke out in Ukraine in March 2022. Since then, millions of people have fled to neighboring countries, raising great concern about how to handle such a flow of people. In order to support the refugees, INTERSOS is setting up an emergency intervention operation in Poland and Ukraine.
General objective of the position
The Security and Access Officer will work to reduce risks to INTERSOS programs, personnel and assets in Ukraine. The role will support the Base Manager in managing all aspects of safety and security while providing guidance and coordination to all INTERSOS staff and visitors. The Security and Access Officer will work closely with INTERSOS staff in Ukraine to ensure safety and security compliance, make recommendations and manage the integration of safety and security into the program implementation. S/he will facilitate the implementation of the INTERSOS risk management policy in the country and ensure that the country’s safety and security compliance also meets the minimum standards.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Provides, under the supervision of line management, the INTERSOS Ukraine mission with timely and credible security information and contextual analysis of the local security situation through daily incident alerts and bi-weekly analytical reports for its areas of responsibility.
- In close collaboration with the Security and Access Coordinator and Base Manager, performs security risk assessments in new areas/routes and advises the line and technical manager on security measures for INTERSOS offices, project activities and personnel.
- Assists the Security and Access Coordinator and Base Manager in improving standard operating procedures and contingency plans, providing input on existing documents, updating information in tools available in the mission, identifying the procedures to be revised and suggesting new ones.
- Provides assistance in the conduct and follow-up of incidents affecting INTERSOS staff and offices, sharing reliable reports with the hierarchy.
- Organize basic training for drivers, guards and field staff on topics identified by the hierarchy (alert system, monitoring, access control, etc.)
- Organize induction sessions for field staff whenever necessary.
- Daily checks of safety and security road conditions and other security related facts shall be provided to the Base Manager and Security and Access Coordinator.
- Performs other security related duties as assigned by the Security and Access Coordinator or Base Manager.
- Monitoring of movements, under the supervision and responsibility of the Base Manager.
- Contribute to the proper implementation of safety equipment and measures in place in vehicles and premises, in coordination with the line and the technical department.
- Contribute to the proper establishment and monitoring of security rooms in the bases.
- Identification of security needs in the areas of operations and quickly address them to the Base Manager and Safety and Security Coordinator.
- Establishes and maintains an active information network by liaising and coordinating with NGOs, UN and other national and international security actors to obtain credible and relevant security information.
- Coordinate and liaise with security forces and relevant authorities to effectively communicate INTERSOS operations and modus operandi to create reliable local acceptance levels and improve accessibility to areas of operations.
- Represents INTERSOS in security meetings or forums, as well as in ad hoc meetings as instructed by the hierarchy.
- Meet with representatives of various government offices and other administrative and security services, often as required, to facilitate the execution of planned activities.
- At the request of the Head of Base represents INTERSOS in meetings with communities and governmental and non-governmental stakeholders to negotiate access to the land, and prepare a comprehensive report.
- Report to the line manager on the progress of ongoing procedures and alert in case of changes in legislation with regard to government procedures in all related aspects.
Other duties as needed.
Profile and experience sought
- University degree in a relevant field
- Desired master’s degree
- Minimum 4 years of work experience as a security manager in a humanitarian/recovery context or relevant work experience in safety, security and risk analysis
- Evidence-based experience in humanitarian negotiation (with national authorities, local authorities, non-state actors, military forces) and humanitarian access in complex emergencies
- Experience in reporting and emergency response planning
- Experience in providing safety and security training to other staff
- Previous experience and knowledge of the Eastern European context desirable
- Good understanding of humanitarian security practices, procedures and principles and their application
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with remote technical supervision
- Skills in creativity, innovation and strategic thinking
- Ability to work in remote locations in the field
- Ukrainian desirable
- Russian desirable
- Organisational skills
- Teamwork and communication skills
- Leadership skills
- Networking skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure
- Stress management
How to register
Interested candidates are invited to to apply following the link below: https://www.intersos.org/en/work-with-us/field/#intersosorg-vacancies/vacancy-details/630f22c8613c7f0023f7dbf9/
Please note that our application process consists of 3 quick steps: Register (including your name, email, password, nationality and Skype address), Register and to apply by attaching your resume and cover letter in PDF Format. Thanks to the platform, candidates will be able to follow the history of their applications with INTERSOS. In case you come across strict difficulties in applying via the platform, you can send an e-mail attaching your CV and cover letter (both in PDF version) by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org subject: “Platform issue – SR-60-2720-Position”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last employment. Family members should be excluded.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the first interview.