ACROSS AMERICA – Hello! We are Sunday October 10. As the weekend draws to a close, here are some of the stories we’re following today:
- Texas’ restrictive abortion ban is back after an appeals court ruled to temporarily suspend a federal judge’s ruling.
- A mask dispute ended when a security guard at an Apple store was stabbed in the face and arm.
- A plane made an emergency landing at LaGuardia Airport after a passenger displayed “suspicious behavior.”
- A neighbor called the police on another neighbor for watching dirty movies with their blinds open.
Texas abortion ban resumed
On Friday night, a federal appeals court quickly allowed Texas to resume the ban on most abortions, just a day after clinics began running to serve patients again for the first time since early September.
A one-page order from the U.S. 5th Court of Appeals restored the country’s strictest abortion law, which prohibits abortions once heart activity is detected, typically around six weeks. There are no exceptions for rape or incest. US Court of Appeals Allows Texas to Resume Ban on Most Abortions, via Austin Patch
George Floyd’s family on thank you tour
Members of George Floyd’s family were in Los Angeles this weekend to launch their “Thank You Tour” across the United States to show their appreciation to the millions of people who demonstrated in 2020 to demand justice after Floyd took off. been murdered by a Minneapolis policeman.
The visit was also used to announce the family’s new non-profit organization, which will “foster respect, trust and love, and enable people to make positive changes in their lives.”
“The murder of my nephew was a necessary sacrifice to wake America up. His loving soul transformed my life and I now intend to pass it on to transform other lives,” said Uncle Selwyn Jones. by Floyd. “The soul of George Floyd will continue to inspire us with energy and determination.” George Floyd’s Family Launches ‘Thank You’ Tour in Los Angeles, via Los Angeles Patch
Mask dispute ends in stabbing
A face mask dispute turned violent on Friday when a security guard at an Apple store in Manhattan was stabbed by a customer after being asked to put on a mask. The security guard was stabbed once in the left arm and once in the forehead with a knife before the suspect fled. New York Apple Store security guard stabbed in face mask challenge, via West Village Patch
No more recall talks planned
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is expected to meet later this month to discuss a possible authorization of booster doses of Moderna and Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccines. CDC Sets Date To Talk About Moderna, J&J COVID-19 Vaccine Boosters, via patch across America
An airplane makes an emergency landing
One person was arrested on Saturday after a plane was forced to make an emergency landing at LaGuardia International Airport due to a potential safety issue. The landing took place after passengers reported suspicious behavior by someone on the flight. “Security incident” causes emergency plane to land at LaGuardia, via the New York City patch
Your good news
If you’re in the mood for some good news, check out this week’s collection of Patch Wellness Stories. From an Eagle Scout who set out to right a grievous injustice to a “teacher of the year” who was nearly kicked out, these stories will give you a much needed boost at the end of the weekend.
Step into your own private oasis when you step into the beautiful backyard of this Downers Grove, Illinois mansion. A sandy beach, waterfalls and an island with a gazebo await you at this one-of-a-kind property.
This day in history
That day in 1973, Vice President Spiro T. Agnew resigned from his post and did not dispute the charge of failing to report $ 29,500 in income while he was governor of Maryland.
Around ‘The Patch’
- A neighbor calls cops on a neighbor for watching “inappropriate movies” with the blinds open, via Buffalo Grove, Illinois, Patch
- Chihuahua saved from the coyote, thanks to a Californian couple, via Chatsworth Patch
- Anti-vaccine protesters attack students, parents, via Beverly Hills Patch
- Daniel Craig bids a loving and special farewell in “No Time to Die”, via Hollywood Patch
- Long Island Man Wins $ 1 Million On Scratch Lottery Ticket, via Bellmore, New York, Patch
- Tampa Bay missing women cases cool as families seek to close, via Tampa Patch
- Tesla will move its headquarters to Austin, via Austin Patch
- Misinformation is a Big Deal, Americans Agree: Poll, via patch across America
Find your patch
Patch is present in over 1,000 communities across America. Find your community and see what’s happening outside your front door.